Saturday, May 30, 2009

KAFI's Gone and Summer is Here


The weather has been beautiful, and I have not been on the web much because of it. Though I haven't been outside much either. I decided to redecorate the upstairs bathroom before it get's too hot (no air conditioning). I've come to the conclusion that the reason I've only done 4 rooms in the eight years I've lived here is that I forget what a time-consuming-pain-in-the-ass it is to remove wall paper, paint, install lighting, etc. But, it's looking good. I'm down to the trim and the fun part of picking out accessories.

I had a deer in the backyard a couple of weeks ago. Very cool. I could have reached out and touched her. A little country right in the middle of the City.

Here's the follow up about KAFI. It could have been a little more organized. These are some of the thoughts I had after attending 3 of the 5 screenings (and hope to pass on as a volunteer next year.):

Keep the Website Updated the Weekend of the Event:
The Catalog I’d downloaded, wrongly told me the Sat. morning screenings were at the Stryker Theater when they were at the State. A note could have easily been made to the site (that I referenced all weekend, including that morning). Information obviously wasn’t uniformly conveyed, or when I called I would have been told I could buy tickets for THAT mornings show at the State Box Office.

An update to the Sunday schedule would also have been appreciated. During Sat. evenings screenings, I missed WHEN on Sunday they were going to repeat Friday nights line-up and announce the winners of the Cartoon Challenge. That information was NOT available on the website Sat. evening or Sun. morning.

Package Deal for Screenings:
I would have attended all five. But, $10 a pop wasn’t in my (or many potential fans’s) budget, so I had to choose. I think you’d sell more tickets if people could have access to all five screenings, but only have to pay for 3 or 4 (or something in between).

Shirts for Sale Instead of Posters:
Shirts were sold on-site in past years, but the audiences were much smaller and I’m sure they lost money. They only offered them through CafePress this year (It will cost ya around $30 to have one delivered to your door, but there are lots of style choices.). I was ready to pay up to $25 on site, and the audiences were much larger this year — more potential buyers. A small run would have sold to “even” at least. The printing cost of the poster would have covered it. But, who knows! That technology has gotten pretty inexpensive these days! (I was not impressed with the poster, but I have one because they were giving them away at the end of Saturday night.)

DVD’s:
I would LOVE to see this weekend’s (and past years) festival(s) offered on DVD! It would be a wonderful collection of unique, moving art and social commentary from around the world. A great and unique addition to my film library!

No comments:

Post a Comment