Sunday, May 3, 2009

Blue Vinyl in Kalamazoo Tuesday

I just discovered the movie "Blue Vinyl" will be shown at the Library on Tuesday, May 5. This is a very powerful film I saw through the now defunct "The Film Connection." It was a film lending library with some great independent movies.

Blue Vinyl had a lasting impact on me. I think of it often. The story starts with a simple quest — find affordable siding for her parent's house. They want to use vinyl, but she thinks it's tacky and would ruin the charm of the home she grew up in. It turns into an education about PVCs and their impact on all of us. I highly recommend it! It starts at 6:30 in the Van Deusen Room.

One of the things I miss most about The Film Connection is the Media that Matters Film Festival every year. I was recently reminded of this when I saw someone had made a mainstream production of two women that clean up crime scenes. I saw a short about a lesbian couple who started the trend many years ago through one of those Media that Matters shorts. It was called "Family Values." Not a comedy, that's for sure, but a great story!

No comments:

Post a Comment